Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quirky Birds at WOYWW 205

UPDATE: For WOYWW 206 click HERE. Mr. Blinky and I didn't get along very well this week I'm afraid.

Zip. Zip. Zip. Time zips by and all of a sudden it's Wednesday again and time for What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday, hosted each week by the most talented apprentice EVER I'm sure, Ms. Dunnit. Our friend Ms. Julia has embarked on a new career of sorts and we're hoping it doesn't keep her away from her blog too much - because in addition to this Wednesday gig, she writes a great story!

My desk has the remnants of a card I made last evening for a family friend who's amazing 19 month old Great Dane Leo died of a heart attack running through the snow on Saturday. So sad. He was black and white so I made a black and white card -- well, it had a bit of color. If you look really hard underneath the letter stamps you can see the paper I used.



There are a few new things on the desk too - a prezzie package arrived in the mail today. From me. To me!! I am blown away by all the things you can do with these watercolor crayons. I wimped out and bought the 15 crayons assortment first -  I mean I didn't really know if I would like them or not....kinda of a mistake, cause now I want them ALL!! 


I've been working on a Lifebook 2013 project the past couple of days. This one was Quirky Birds. So much fun. A lot of Neocolor crayons, acrylic paints, and a collection of white and black pens





I learned so much working on these. Blending, techniques for making quirky creatures, and as always what I wouldn't do next time. The first two birds I essentially copied from Tam Lapor, Lifebook's founder and the teacher for this class. They are slightly different, but the concept was hers. The next two were a bit more my own. To me, they have a different look - a little looser. 



This guy is my athletic bird -- you can tell because he has knee pads on! What fun...I found myself doodling a bird during a meeting at work today...not sure that's a good sign, but it's all fun! 

Hope you have fun this week.  

26 comments:

  1. Ohhh your bird project is stunning and those crayons look like they are a "must have" item. How could you not be doodling in a meeting? Only a problem when the little faces start to resemble the meeting attendees.
    Sandra @12

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the birds...I think doodling during meetings should be compulsory...might help to keep everyone awake! Happy WOYWW. Pam#23

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not seen these crayons here in South Africa...must investigate, love what you did with them. As long as you don't take your crayons into the meeting, I think you can get away with bird doodles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the birds.... and the crayons!! Happy WOYWW Helen, 5

    ReplyDelete
  5. great looking birds! I have yet to get to that lesson in LB 2013...I have already fallen behind a couple months due to life issues. Hope you have a great week. Vickie #36

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sara
    a great desk today with crafty stash on show but oh how sad about your friends dog, as a dog owner I really feel for her.
    I love your bird drawings real fun pieces
    Thanks for sharing your desk today, Happy WOYWW hope you have a great week
    Ria #42

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, lovely creativity here today. Loving the quirky birds!

    Hope you have a good week. Neil #19

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great artwork, wish I could draw!

    Thanks for sharing your crafty space and have a great week

    Candace #64

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaahhh... neocolors! I bought me the small box a few years back only to buy a bigger box a few months later - I was hooked right away! (I keep the smaller box as a 'back up' now) You sure made a good choice, and I love your birdies too! The last one with the knee-protectors made me giggle! Oh, and your requested 'golden oldie' layout is on my blog today. Happy woyww, Marit #102

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, your birds are adorable! I love the colors and the quirky style.

    Happy Woyww,

    Sandy #36

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara! wow! The neocolors are beautiful. Your projects are gorgeous. Super fun desk and I admire your collection of distress inks. I'm slowly building mine. lol! Sorry to hear about your friends pet. My heart breaks for them. Sending hugs.
    Happy Wednesday! SueC#120

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quirky birds. The last one looks like he's doing a John Travolta impression from Saturday Night Fever :)
    Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man..no time to talk....ah ah ah ah, staying alive.....ooooeeoo
    Did I sound like the Bee Gees then?? Lol
    Hugs, LLJ 33 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your birds are so cute, they made me chuckle! Happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh So colorful and so fun!! The are so "free" looking makes me want "loosen up" a little!! Thanks for sharing!Have a great week! Ginny #120

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, your artwork is totally amazing!
    Debxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness!! Those Quirky birds are adorable and I may have to give them a try ( I'm already working on feathers after all...LOL) Have a wonderful week! DayLee Doodler #107

    ReplyDelete
  17. G'day Sara
    thanks for stopping by my blog for WOYWW. My hands were still too sore to type yesterday so I'm a day late but here I am. I adore my stash of Neo colours...I got a box of 84 a few years back for Christmas...aren't they just fab!! glad you got my Finn info e-mail at last :o)
    hugs
    Annette In Oz #39

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I forgot to say your birdies are DIVINE...love them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your birds are really awesome, I like the last two best. Love the doodling.
    Gabriele #112

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you liked the ink storage. It is definitely handier than keeping them in a box. I have no idea what Lifebook is but if it has you making quirky birds, I'm all for it. They are wonderful pieces of art. And so owl-like, which makes me love them even more since I'm an owl collector. Bobby #124

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I so get the wanting more of those crayons they are on my wish list of must haves.. My daughter gave me a gift voucher for mothers day and they are one of the things I want to buy.. Think they look amazing to use.. I love your birds they are really different and love his little knee pads so cute.
    Sandy :) #73

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those crayons look great! Your birds are really quirky and I love them too! I can just imagine doodling in a meeting...little birds peeking out of your meeting notes! Happy WOYWW! Karen 127 x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love your quirky birds! Happy Wednesday. :o)
    Sue x (MiniOwner@133)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, your birds are wonderful!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog earlier and for your kind comments.

    Happy Woyww,

    Sandy #4

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry to hear about the poor doggie, so sad.

    Your birds are AMAZING! They have such great color and personality.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and for the nice comments.

    Happy Woyww,

    Sandy #4

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a few words...it's so much fun to get feedback! Here's wishing you sunny skies (at least proverbially!)