Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fragmented Jewel Tones

This week on Linda Ledbetter's Grungy Monday 33 the challenge was to use Tim Holtz August 2008 Challenge, where he demonstrated using alcohol inks and fragments. Each Monday Linda throws out a challenge based on Tim Holtz techniques and since he's why I started the blog in the first place I check in faithfully. After messing about with what colors to use, I decided to go with the old standby jewel tones. OOOO.....they just seem so luscious to me. And I had just gotten this amazingly cool Dylusions stamp so decided to incorporate it as well. Here's a close up of the finished piece:

I used two or three alcohol inks on each one, and had to experiment a bit to find stamps that would work with the technique. It couldn't be too dense or too fine, and you couldn't leave the ink or too long or wipe it off too fast. I finally got the hang of it though after several trys.

My idea was to make a scene, which was modestly successfully. I used Twinkling H2O's to paint the background on watercolor paper. If you've never played with these they are loads of fun....you open the little containers up and prime them with some water and next thing you know you're painting with glimmery watercolors. They mix beautifully. Only trick is to make sure you leave the lid off the container for a good 24 hours when your finished -- or they get moldy.


So I think I'll spray it and use it as a cover for a small notebook, once I mount it on another, stiffer, medium.

Thanks to Linda for these wonderful challenges!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a few words...it's so much fun to get feedback! Here's wishing you sunny skies (at least proverbially!)