Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grungy Monday # 38

This week, while we all wait (none too patiently) for the new copies of the  Compendium of Curiosities Volume 2 from Tim, the lovely Linda at Studio L3 has given us a great challenge for this week at Grungy Monday. It's one of Tim's first 12 Tags of Christmas, Tag 2 in 2007. It's the tried and true paint resist technique, with "ghost images" made from re-cycled packaging materials, and of course a stamped image.


I started by making stamps from the gear die cuts...a little trick Tim showed us during the 12 Tags of Christmas in 2010 Day 11. I used Golden Fluid Acrylic Transparent Red Iron Oxide on my new stamps and since it's a little runnier than the dabbers, the paint ran into down the foam and created little puddles. Happy Accident, since that is what created the darker shadows on the gears. I embossed them with clear embossing powder and then put down Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey, Stormy Sky and a tad bit of Pine Needles Distress Inks on my craft sheet just like Tim instructed. I love that his instructions actually work!! I used my favorite flourish stamp with Aged Mahagony DI for the stamp part, a Graphic 45 steampunk babe image, some old watch parts, and then made the "ghost" images.


I love how these came out. I used the same Red Iron Oxide paint, added some Golden Fluid Acrycli Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold and Raw Sienna, and smooshed them around with my finger. To get some depth I cut the same gears out of black cardstock and popped them off the paper with foam tape. I colored a washer, a fastener and then used another fastner I had in my stash to actually attach them. And then I popped the whole thing onto some black board. I'm going to give this to our webmaster Jack, who probably likes steampunk more than any one I know. Thanks Linda and Tim!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutley stunning Sara. I love it.
    Great colours .
    hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gears look brilliant Sara! Great card! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely steampunkery! Love all the different layers. I know what you mean about knowing when to stop. I have that problem and have ruined many a good piece by overworking but sometimes you just can't resist all part of the learning curve. Must also say I love your calendar pages i' heading over to Kate cranes blog ! Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous background, Sara! Loving the gears, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those gears are brilliant! The way the paint puddled makes them look so 3d. I am just staring and staring at this, lol! One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a few words...it's so much fun to get feedback! Here's wishing you sunny skies (at least proverbially!)