Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grungy Monday # 38

This week, while we all wait (none too patiently) for the new copies of the  Compendium of Curiosities Volume 2 from Tim, the lovely Linda at Studio L3 has given us a great challenge for this week at Grungy Monday. It's one of Tim's first 12 Tags of Christmas, Tag 2 in 2007. It's the tried and true paint resist technique, with "ghost images" made from re-cycled packaging materials, and of course a stamped image.


I started by making stamps from the gear die cuts...a little trick Tim showed us during the 12 Tags of Christmas in 2010 Day 11. I used Golden Fluid Acrylic Transparent Red Iron Oxide on my new stamps and since it's a little runnier than the dabbers, the paint ran into down the foam and created little puddles. Happy Accident, since that is what created the darker shadows on the gears. I embossed them with clear embossing powder and then put down Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey, Stormy Sky and a tad bit of Pine Needles Distress Inks on my craft sheet just like Tim instructed. I love that his instructions actually work!! I used my favorite flourish stamp with Aged Mahagony DI for the stamp part, a Graphic 45 steampunk babe image, some old watch parts, and then made the "ghost" images.


I love how these came out. I used the same Red Iron Oxide paint, added some Golden Fluid Acrycli Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold and Raw Sienna, and smooshed them around with my finger. To get some depth I cut the same gears out of black cardstock and popped them off the paper with foam tape. I colored a washer, a fastener and then used another fastner I had in my stash to actually attach them. And then I popped the whole thing onto some black board. I'm going to give this to our webmaster Jack, who probably likes steampunk more than any one I know. Thanks Linda and Tim!

7 comments:

  1. Absolutley stunning Sara. I love it.
    Great colours .
    hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gears look brilliant Sara! Great card! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely steampunkery! Love all the different layers. I know what you mean about knowing when to stop. I have that problem and have ruined many a good piece by overworking but sometimes you just can't resist all part of the learning curve. Must also say I love your calendar pages i' heading over to Kate cranes blog ! Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous background, Sara! Loving the gears, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those gears are brilliant! The way the paint puddled makes them look so 3d. I am just staring and staring at this, lol! One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a few words...it's so much fun to get feedback! Here's wishing you sunny skies (at least proverbially!)